General national economic measures

 

*small business relief or other financial support, 

*interest free crisis loans, 

*income support for employees, 

*income support for freelance workers,

*business rates payment holiday, 

*employer social security payment holiday, 

*tax returns and or VAT returns suspended/delayed

 

-Fiscal package (€7,5bn):

  • €1,34bn to provide an income to self-employed workers who lost their revenue

  • €5,36bn to provide compensation to businesses that lost their revenue 

  • €510m to the wage costs of worker who are partially unemployed due to the crisis 

  • €27 million to extend the sickness and unemployment benefits to a larger group of people by lengthening the period of rights to these support schemes

  • €23m to reimburse businesses the sickness benefits they have to pay to workers 

  • €13m to create a pool for initiatives to support large-scale redundancies of work 

  • €13m in compensation for businesses which were affected by the cancelation of large events 

 

-Liquidity and guarantee measures (€8,8bn)

  • Around €8bn of extra credit available through an increase in the guarantees for small and medium-sized enterprises and large companies 

  • €170m of supplementary credit through for liquidity guarantees for medium and small export firms 

 

-Under a subsidy scheme that lasted until 29 August, if companies promised not to cut staff, the state offered to pay 75% of employees’ salaries at a maximum of 23,000 Danish crowns (around €3,000) per month, while the companies pay the remaining 25%.

-Overall, €22 worth of deferrals were announced, including a 30-day VAT deferral (more on this below) and a four month delay on labour contributions and labour taxes.

-Three tax measures were announced to boost business liquidity (more info here):

  • Large companies had 30 additional days to pay VAT.

  • All companies were granted four additional months to pay their labour contributions originally due through the end of June. 

  • The government also lifted the ceiling on businesses’ tax accounts so that corporations didn’t have to pay negative interest rates when placing cash in the bank. That limit rose from the previous level of DKK 200,000 to DKK 10 million (around €1,34m) until the end of November 2020.

 

-Government paid up to 90% of wage for 3 months for workers who were sent home, covered income for self-employed, helped to cover fixed costs.

-Easier access to reduced work time support.

-For businesses forced by law to close down, all expenditures including rent were fully covered by the State. 

National measures specific to the music sector or to culture in general

 

The music sector can benefit from the above-mentioned general measures. A compensation scheme is in place both for concerts that have been cancelled and postponed.

 

De-confinement process

Denmark, started to ease restrictions in mid-April and further at the end of May by easing border restrictions. Cinemas, theatres, museums and art galleries started opening on 21st May. Phase 3 started on 8th June and phase 4 should start in early August with clubs reopening. 

Measures taken by local collecting society organisations

 

Koda decreased live concert streaming prices (see here). 
 

Other music funds available

 

A few private funds created emergency programmes. See for example: 

https://augustinusfonden.dk/coronavirus-covid-19/

https://www.tuborgfondet.dk/nyhed/akutpulje-under-corona

 

Support from online services

 

No specific support for Denmark so far. For other initiatives by online services, click here

 

Support from national radio and other media

 

National radio going from 41 to 80% national repertoire to support the local scene. A few online media provide free advertising. More information here.

Social media and other campaigns to promote music during the crisis

The live music organisation did a "keep your ticket" campaign in support of all the venues/festivals  shut down. See here.

Local programmes supported by EU funds covering music

 

None so far.

 

Business and other expected losses

With the entire festival summer getting cancelled, the fear is that many of those won't come back in 2021 despite being eligible for some of the support programmes. The same goes for booking agencies. While labels are definitely loosing out on a lot right now, it is not yet to the level where their existence all-together is threatened.

For more info:

DUP - Danske Uafhængige Pladeselskaber - https://dup.nu/da/kontakt

Denmark

IMPALA represents independent music companies and national associations in Europe. Our main site is www.impalamusic.org where you can find out more about what IMPALA does. 

Address: 70 Coudenberg - 1000 Bruxelles

Tel: +32 2 503 31 38

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn Social Icône
  • Instagram
  • Spotify Icône sociale
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Linkedin
  • Noir Icône Instagram
  • Spotify noir Icône